Thanks for joining me in studying and applying the inspired counsel of living prophets from this most recent general conference. I look forward to learning and sharing together as we each “resolve to do a little better” in our guided climb to come closer to our Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Review and study the entire talk: “The Witness” by President Boyd K. Packer, April 2014.
Here are some of my favorite points and questions to ponder. Please share your insights and applications in the comment section:
1. “One eternal truth that I have come to know is that God lives. He is our Father. We are His children. ‘We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost’ (Articles of Faith 1:1). Of all the other titles that He could have used, He chose to be called ‘Father.’ The Savior commanded, ‘After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father who art in heaven’ (3 Nephi 13:9; see also Matthew 6:9). His use of the name ‘Father’ is a lesson for all as we come to understand what it is that matters most in this life.”
How have you come to know that God lives and that He is your Father? How has this knowledge helped you decide what matters most in your life?
2. “Another truth I have come to know is that the Holy Ghost is real. He is the third member of the Godhead. His mission is to testify of truth and righteousness. He manifests Himself in many ways, including feelings of peace and reassurance. He can also bring comfort, guidance, and correction when needed. The companionship of the Holy Ghost is maintained throughout our lives by righteous living.”
How have you come to know that the Holy Ghost is real? How has the companionship of the Holy Ghost blessed your life?
3. “A supernal truth that I have gained in my life is my witness of the Lord Jesus Christ…. I believe and I am sure that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that He lives. He is the Only Begotten of the Father, and ‘by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God’ (D&C 76:24)….He is the Only Begotten of the Father. He is He who was slain and He who liveth again. He is our Advocate with the Father. ‘Remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that [we] must build [our] foundation’ (Helaman 5:12). He is the anchor that holds us and protects us and our families through the storms of life.”
How have you come to know that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that He lives? How is He your rock and your anchor?
4. “In all of this, let us remember that there is an adversary who personally seeks to disrupt the work of the Lord. We must choose whom to follow. Our protection is as simple as deciding individually to follow the Savior, making certain that we faithfully will remain on His side.”
Why is it also important to know that Satan is real?
5. “Like most things of great worth, knowledge which is of eternal value comes only through personal prayer and pondering. These, joined with fasting and scripture study, will invite impressions and revelations and the whisperings of the Holy Spirit. This provides us with instruction from on high as we learn precept upon precept.”
What sacred truths do you know that will enable you to press forward with faith and gratitude? What do you want to know?
Go to your Father in Heaven in prayer and ask Him so that you can receive the witness which will guide you to focus on the things that matter most for you and your family. This is my witness that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live. They love us. They listen to us. They speak to us through the Holy Ghost. As we accept and act upon the knowledge we receive from the Holy Ghost we will have power and protection “to stand against the wiles of the devil” (Ephesians 6:10-18).
Review and study additional “Guided Climbs.”